DUI

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BK on July 18, 2003 at 23:34:03:

I need some help.

In June of 2002, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Syndrome which is a mood disorder that apparently I have had for many years. It was quite debilitating at this time last year as I had a severe nervous breakdown with a manic psychotic episode and was admitted to the Hospital Psychiatric Unit. It took several months for me to recover.

Several months prior to my breakdown I encountered problems due to misdiagnosis of my condition and incorrectly prescribed medications. In seeking relief, I found some comfort in self-medicating with alcohol and marijuana for relief of my severe mood swings and this led to 3 DUI convictions in a three month period and a loss of my drivers license for 7 years. The last case, I pleaded guilty to but was not truly guilty (My thinking was clouded by my condition and incorrect medication) I petitioned the court in for post conviction relief but my attempt failed.

At the time I went before the judge in this last case, I was under the influence of the above mentioned improper prescription drugs for my then undiagnosed bipolar syndrome. I had been severely depressed and was incorrectly prescribed several different antidepressants that affected my abilities to reason by my family doctor. He wrote a letter to support this Also, my psychiatrist who has treated me for the bipolar syndrome since last June, wrote a letter to substantiate that these improper drugs affected my abilities to make sound judgments.

Unfortunately approximately 4 weeks prior to the last incident I had self-medicated with marijuana to relieve my extreme unbearable mood swings so there was a trace amount in my blood test but, evidence that I was not “driving under the influence” is in the report of a Toxicolgist who offered his expert statement that there was not sufficient trace residual amounts of marijuana in my blood to have effect on my cognitive skills.

Again, at the time I went before the judge in this case, my thoughts were very clouded by the above mentioned prescribed drugs. I was confused so I was not fully aware of what signing the guilty plea meant. For these reasons that I asked to withdraw my guilty plea. I was not driving under the influence of illegal substances at the time of this incident.

Luckily I am now on a regular prescribed drug regimen that has been effective in treating my condition and am the healthiest that I have been in the last ten years. I never feel the need to drink or smoke marijuana I have been employed as a mechanical assembler since September of 2003 and am fully self-supported. I recently finished my Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering online. .

I have been without it now for almost two years and it has a severe negative impact on my opportunities to advance my career and makes it extremely difficult to accomplish even the most simple chores like grocery shopping. It is also a drain on my father as he is driving me back and forth to work each day.

I am hopeful that someone can help me, give me some advice on avenues that I can take.

Again, I had a lawyer help me file for the post conviction relief but it was dismissed without granting a hearing.

any suggestions

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.