Re: Paramedic LIscensure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rl on July 16, 2003 at 22:09:17:

In Reply to: Paramedic LIscensure posted by Jesse on July 16, 2003 at 06:12:55:

: I am employeed at a hospital in the Emergency Room as a Patient Care Technician. Until two weeks I had a basic emergency technician certification. I know am liscensed as a paramedic in the state of MO. I attempted to transfer full out of the emergency room to the ambulance service where I work part time. Because my boss has a grudge apparently he won't sign the papers to transfer me to the ambulance service as a paramedic. I was then told by the ambulance supervisor that I would have to continue working as an EMT until he signs the papers.
: Does this put me at risk when working on the ambulance? Am I required to practice at my highest level of liscensure? If someone dies because my partner fails to complete a necessary skill or function as a paramedic and I sit by and do nothing as my boss requires am I accountable?
**Good question. I am in a similar situation but am not an EMT. I have a certification and am in a situation where the level of liability is not clear.

You might do well to contact the paramedic board that liscences you so they can clarify what your limits and liabilities are.

Did you sign anything with your employer indicating how and what you will be liable for? Are you under contract with the paramedic board? If so your liability might be equal or more than your employer. If not, your employer may still be ultimately responsible and you may only be "liable' to your employer--in other words you have to do what your employer tells you because they are ultimately responsible.

Your employer may be annoyed with you because you wish to go on to a better job and having someone with a certificate is a bonus to them because then they can have the benefit of your certificate without having to pay you more.

I am only guessing. This is something an employer may never give you a straight answer on if you ask them.

hope this helps

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.