Expungement in Illinois, Illinois Bar, and Felonies that bec

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bri Bri on June 25, 2003 at 14:28:27:

I have was charged with felony burglary in 2 counties at the same time in 1996. Somehow both charges were reduced to misdemeanors, specifically criminal damage to property. However, both are listed in my records with felony case numbers and reference that they were reduced to misdemeanors. Some time ago I finished with everything that the courts required of me. This included 1 year of probation in two counties 1-week jail time (after good behavior reductions etc.) and large fines and reparations.
My questions are:
Can I get both of these expunged?
Will I be able to be a member of the Illinois Bar if these offences are not expunged? (I've heard that I most likely would be able to but that it is a difficult process and that you will not be accepted it you have a felony. This concerns me because they did start out as felonies and this is obvious in my records. I'm also afraid that this type of offence is the kind that involves "moral turpitude" as they call it. I’m not sure.)
Finally, I'm wondering how this record would affect me when applying for other jobs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.