Expungement, Background Checks and Georgia Law....and NASD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JamesD on December 26, 2002 at 02:05:39:

Hello... When I was 19 (I am currently 24), I was arrested for a VERY minor fight I had with my father. To make a long story short the final disposition of the case (of simple battery) was no accusation filed and someone in the DAs office told me that NOONE - excluding feds,etc- would ever see this arrest. I work in the securities industry now (graduated from a top school two years ago) and every company performs an "FBI background check" pursuant to the rules of the NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers..i think).

I filed an expungement kit a few months ago and finally contacted the GBI to follow-up to make sure everything went smoothly. He informed me verbally that my records would be expunged the day before Thanksgiving this year. I am at home for the holidays (where the offense occured) and am going to the courthouse tomorrow to "make sure" everything is destroyed.

****Is there anything I should be aware of because I would like to ensure that this doesn't accidentally come up in another background check?? The reason why I am concerned is that my previous employer found out about the arrest and forced me to write explanations of what happened and submit it in writing to them (I feel like they were close to firing me and my new boss treated me very differently after he found out)...It was utterly humiliating to say the least..

Thanks for your help in advance,
James

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Law Talk ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.